Hindustan Copper Limited (HCL) was incorporated on 9th November,1967, under the Companies Act,1956. It was established as a Govt. of India Enterprise to take over all plants, projects, schemes and studies pertaining to the exploration and exploitation of copper deposits, including smelting and refining from National Mineral Development Corporation Ltd. The Government of India nationalized the only copper producing company in the private sector, Indian Copper Corporation Ltd. at Ghatsila in Jharkhand in March 1972 and handed over its management and ownership to Hindustan Copper Limited. The Smelter Plant at Khetri Copper Complex (KCC) in Rajasthan with capacity of 31000 tonnes was dedicated to the nation on 5th February 1975. In November 1982, Malanjkhand Copper Project (MCP) comprising of a large and fully mechanized open pit mine and Concentrator plant was dedicated to the nation. The Continuous Cast Copper Rod plant at Taloja Copper Project (TCP) of Hindustan Copper Ltd. was commissioned in December, 1989 with an installed capacity of 60,000 tonnes. The Company has selected Southwire SCR-2000 technology for the plant and using natural gas as fuel.
“Highlights of 2011-12”
• Miniratna (Category-1) status company.
• “Zero debt Company” as on date.
• The Company has paid ` 92.14 crore as dividend to Government of India for the year 2010-11.
• Expected profit after tax (PAT) of ` 316.46 crore in the year 2011-12.
• The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs in its meeting held on 30th September,2011,had approved the investment of ` 1856.36 crore for the project for expansion of Malanjkhand Copper Project mine from 2.0 million tonne per annum open cast to 5.0 million tonne per annum Underground mine